Ecofeminism in My Own Life

Hey Y’all Welcome Back!!

We are nearing the end of this blog very quickly! I hope you won’t miss me too much!

This week’s post is going to be part one of a two piece blog. This week I’m going to walk you through my plan to implement ecofeminism into not only my household but 4 others.

This is the crazy bunch of us that will be making some changes over the next few weeks.

Looking back at all the materials we’ve gone through and everything we’ve learned together I kept going back to the week in which we discussed not only being a vegetarian but how women are often compared to animals in very crass ways. So I decided, since my crazy family has more than enough time on their hands in quarantine, that we would all eat vegetarian dishes for the next seven days. We will then be able to see how many animals total, that we saved. *I have a feeling that number is going to very high.* I have five families and 18 people participating, I’m surprised I was able to convince them all to give it a try!

On Weekly Average…

Family 1 (4 members) eats 6 lbs of chicken, 5 lbs of beef and 3 lbs of seafood.

Family 2 (5 members) eats 15 lbs of chicken, 10 lbs of beef and 5 lbs of seafood.

Family 3 (4 members) eats 8 lbs of chicken, 5 lbs of beef and 3 lbs of seafood.

Family 4 (3 members)  eats 3 lbs of chicken, 3 lbs of beef and 2 lbs of seafood.

Family 5 (2 members) eats 2lbs of chicken, 2 lbs of beef and 1 lb of seafood.

I’ve made a graph to look at things a little easier.

Yeah, Family 2 really likes chicken.

I think many of us will struggle for the first few days especially the men in Family 2 but I really hope they are able to push past that so we can see some serious results.

My hope is that we (myself included) will be able to see that living a vegetarian lifestyle is doable and even healthier for us. I also hope to educate the rest of my family about ecofeminism during this process. I’ve challenged them to read a few different materials that we’ve already gone through while learning about ecofeminism. The most important and effective source I sent them was the Animal Kill Clock. I hope this has some sort of effect of everyone, but at the very least I hope it gets them through the next week.

We are all starting our seven day animal cleanse tonight! My family is going to make Butternut Squash Pasta, which we actually make a lot but it’s delicious! I’ve linked a recipe similar to ours, give it a try!

Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta Recipe on twopeasandthierpod.com

I’m looking forward to hearing about the recipes the other families try. I encourage you to try to find more vegetarian recipes to incorporate into your own diet. If you have any good ideas please share! I’d love to give them a try or send them along to the other families.

I’ll be posting the result within the next few weeks!! Fingers crossed we are all able to make some adjustments!!

Stay Safe and Healthy Y’all!!

Until Next Time!

3 thoughts on “Ecofeminism in My Own Life

1. Hello,
    I am excited to see how this ends up going and perhaps if some members become full fledge vegetarians or even vegans. Though the graph is interesting, I think it would be better to sum up amount eaten by meats and not by family. Then you can compare pre and post weight of overall meat eaten for chicken, beef, and seafood. Also, is pork included in this, because pork is a common eaten meat in a household. You could also find the average of pounds/ meat eaten by person and that way see how much meat consumption dropped on average. Good luck in your endeavors, maybe you can start at home and eventually change the minds of the world.

2. Hey Madison,
    First of all I have to start off by saying how amazing it is that you got five households to go vegetarian for a week. Also the graph you included was very helpful in order to visualize exactly how much meat was being consumed. I would say if possible maybe continuing to include these visual props and also if you could maybe speak to family members in order to get their perspectives before and after starting this incredible journey. I think it would be nice to see how much they knew prior to starting and how much they have learned after. Coming from a family of carnivores I can only image how hard the first few days will be (especially for family #2), but good luck I’m very excited to read the follow ups!

3. Hello Madison, I love your idea about including five families to go vegetarian for a week. It’s not an easy task. I really appreciate their cooperation. Most of families and other people don’t even bother doing something that has nothing to do with them. Like this project of ours. Also, family 2 just not love chicken, but beef and seafood too which are all higher than of other families.
    My family belong to a village in India. In their times they didn’t have access to meat nor they had enough money to buy it, so they mostly survived on vegetables. Due to that my family now eats vegetable more than meat. Our style of cooking food is different than the western style. I’d like to share one of my favorite vegetable, lady finger. The recipe is as follow,
    1. Wash 1 lb lady finger before cutting. Dry completely after washing.
    2. Cut it as you like, I like in small circles. (I’ll add the picture too in the end).
    3. Chop 1 medium onion.
    4. In a pot, pour 2 tablespoon of oil and add chopped onion. Keep flame on medium. If you think you need more oil you can add a little.
    5. After onion starts getting soft, add 1 ½ teaspoon of ginger garlic paste.
    6. Cut 2-3 medium tomatoes. Add them after onion gets golden brown.
    7. After tomatoes completely cooked, i.e when you see a gravy like appearance, add lady finger.
    8. Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric, coriander powder and salt. Salt is flexible add as you like.
    9. Add ½ teaspoon of red chili powder and that too if you like.
    10. Mix well.
    11. Cover the pot. turn flame to low.
    12. Let it cook until you see color change in ladyfinger and oil separated.
    13. Check if you need to add something.
    Just a tip. If ladyfinger gets too sticky you can add a teaspoon of lemon mix.

I hope you’ll like the dish if you ever try.
    Bellow is the link of the vegetable. You’ll see how to cut and the end result.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fyummyindiankitchen.com%2Fbhindi-ki-sabji-recipe-bhindi-ki-sabzi%2F&psig=AOvVaw1roBC1txMOURMf8ZiRrJj-&ust=1587236435397000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCOiF49iS8OgCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAj